Tazewell County settled by Thomas Witten, John Greenup and others.
What is now the Town of Tazewell settled by William Peery and Samuel Ferguson.
On December 20, 1799, the General Assembly of Virginia created Tazewell County from portions of Wythe and Russell Counties.
Jeffersonville was established as the county seat of the new county on land given by William Peery. The county’s first community was named in honor of Thomas Jefferson who was elected as our country’s third President that same year.
The Town of Jeffersonville was incorporated for the first time by the Virginia General Assembly.
On February 29, 1892, the town of Jeffersonville was renamed Tazewell. Jeffersonville was often referred to as Tazewell Court House even prior to this date.
Also in 1892 the first street cars were used in the town. The original trolley was pulled by a horse or a mule until upgraded to electrical cars in 1904. The Town of Tazewell was noted, at that time, as the smallest town in America with an electric street car.
Due to the advent of the automobile, the Tazewell trolley was discontinued in September of 1933.
The Town of Tazewell and the Town of North Tazewell merged on January 1, 1963. The expanded town also annexed the communities of both River Jack and Four Way.
The Tazewell Train Station on the Clinch Valley Line of the Norfolk and Western Railway closed heralding an end to this community serving as the commercial hub of the town.
Boundary adjustments expanded the area of the town to include many sections of the US 19-460 Bypass, the Tazewell Middle School, and the Four Seasons YMCA. The population of the town topped 6,000 due to the expanded boundaries.
(Courtesy of the Tazewell County Historical Society & Dr. Terry W. Mullins)